Thursday, May 31, 2012

Getting Better

I haven't posted yet about Keniann's acid reflux.  She has had it since the day she was born.  It has been a very hard season dealing with this, but thankfully we have seen some improvement in the past few months.  Keniann has been on medication since she was 4 months old and it has been the only thing that has worked.  I have tried the chiropractor (which we still go to one day a week) and even gone to a holistic doctor to try different herb supplements, but all those didn't seem to help her one bit.  I hate her taking the medicine, but I had to come to a point of surrender when everything else seemed to fail.  I'm hoping she will be able to be off the medicine by the time she turns one.  My doctor told me that most children are able to once they start walking and taking in more solids. 


In other news, Keniann had a big nursing strike a few weeks ago, which lead to her weaning herself.  It was a hard time for me because I was at no point of stopping breastfeeding, but she just kept refusing me for every feeding!  She even refused breastmilk from the bottle, which was so strange!  My doctor told me that some babies once they get a bottle of formula, they don't go back.  That's exactly what happened to Keniann.  I thought I would make it to atleast a year this time, but atleast I made it this far!  I was also torn because Keniann has so many allergies to things I ate that I was starting to get burnt out with the foods I was eating.  And I was also starting to feel nutritionally deprived, even though I was taking atleast 8 different supplements daily to make sure my body was getting everything it needed. 

But the bright side is that I can actually eat anything I want and it feels liberating!  I actually get to eat dairy, soy, nuts, banana's and other things (it's a long list) that she was allergic too!  I just find it odd that she can handle regular dairy formula, but yet still react to my milk when I ate dairy.  Strange?!  I asked the doctor about that one too and she has never heard of such.  I told her that I tested it enough to make sure that this was true.  I'm just glad she isn't hurting anymore from the things that she was allergic too!

1 comment: