Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The name game

Ever since I became pregnant, Daniel and I have baby name "discussions" maybe once or twice a week.  It always starts when I suggest a name to him and ends with no agreement from him on every name I throw out.  For some reason Daniel and I agree better on girl names than boy names, probably because my boy names aren't manly enough (:  It is scary to know that you hold the power to name a child that will be their name for the rest of their life. 
"Wyatt" was a name Daniel liked and I liked it too, but didn't love it.  Since we didn't agree on many boy names (and we had our girl name set in stone) and I was exhausted after he was born, I went with "Wyatt." I felt weird giving him that name.  I hoped that his name would fit him, which worked out to fit him perfectly! I cannot imagine him with any other name. 
We plan on making our final decision on a name when we find out the sex towards the end of April.  I want Wyatt to hear his or her name before they are born that way Wyatt will be familiar with his new baby brother or sister.  And I'm hoping it will make the adjustment for Wyatt a little easier and to make him feel included in the new baby's life. 
So far we both agree on Ellie for a girl and Cline for a boy, but they aren't set in stone yet.  I'm still playing with the name Kenny-Ann for a girl and Daniel isn't sure if he likes it.  I like it because it includes Daniel's dad's name and my middle name together.  Plus it's a unique and special name that has meaning to us.  We aren't sure how we feel about having a boy name for a girl, but that's why Ann is apart of the first name.  I know of a girl named Randy-Kay and the thought has never crossed my mind that her name includes a boy name.  There are also so many names that have switched from boy to girl like Ashley and Lyndsey.  Both were very popular boy names at one time. 

Until we make a final decision, we will continue to play the name game (:

2 comments:

  1. If you give a girl a name that has traditionally been a boy name, like Kenny, you have to keep in mind that mass-produced items with names on them will likely be available with the name, but will look like a boy. Sarah Graves is certainly an unusual name, but we can find girlie things that say Sarah, so I don't think she will care too much. A girl might be offended if every time she finds her name (or at least part of her name) on something, it looks like it's for a boy.
    Just food for thought. I like family names a lot. They have special meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am telling you -- Kenniann (or however you want to spell it -- that is how my friend spelled hers) is the way to go. It honors Daniel's dad and it was my suggestion so that is why i like it.

    Coming from a person who NEVER got massed produced items (when I was small now my name is popular) I felt special when we went shopping. I sort of liked saying "I'm so special I am not in this basket of names".

    I love Elle too but just a reminder -- you can't take Pearl -- if I ever hav a child (haha!!) I want that family name. But if you really like it no worries!! :o)))

    ReplyDelete