Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fig Preserves

Since I am trying to be more crafty lately, I decided to try to make fig preserves with the figs we picked this summer from our humongous fig tree.  It's a really old tree (our house was built around 50 years ago)  and it produces tons of figs.  On most afternoons in June/July when it was fig season, Daniel and I (and Wyatt in his bumbo chair looking at us like we were crazy) would go out and pick the figs that were ripe.  I think I even let Wyatt taste one, which he thought it was pretty gross.  I saved all the figs we picked in the freezer (which I was a little worried about how that would affect the jelly) until I had time to make the preserves.  I finally made one batch a couple weeks ago and then I made two batches today.  It was so much easier than I thought!  All I had to add to the figs to make the preserves was water, lemon juice, pectin and sugar and that was it.  Then boil the above together.  Even the canning process wasn't as bad as I thought.  Just boil the jars and lids for ten minutes before putting in the jelly.  Then after adding the jelly, the finished jars boil again for 5 minutes so the lids will seal on the jars.  The jelly turned out very yummy too, very good (:  On to my next project:  making homemade bread!

1 comment: