Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards

Today I listened to this past Sunday's sermon (12/26) from Lakeview Christian Center (http://www.lakeviewchristiancenter.com/) on making New Year's resolutions (It was fantastic btw, highly recommend listening to all sermons(: )  In the sermon Pastor Keith Collins mentions resolutions that were made by puritan Jonathan Edwards.  Jonathan Edwards made at 70 resolutions and read them at least once a week (you can google the resolutions)!  All of his resolutions are for the glory of God. Most people's New Year resolutions are to loose weight or do better at their job, but for what purpose?  I try to avoid those types of resolutions because I always end up failing them by the end of January.  They always fail because they are for my glory, not his.  I'm not exactly sure yet what my resolution or resolutions will be, but Jonathan Edwards sure does have some great ideas!  It's too much to post all 70 so I will post a few to give you an idea...


Resolution #5  Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can.

Resolution #9  Resolved, to think much on all occasions of my own dying, and of the common circumstances which attend death.

Resolution #17 Resolved, that I will live, so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.

Resolution # 25 Resolved, to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct my forces against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment