Thursday, December 9, 2010

Time with God

I try to spend some time everyday with the Lord, which consists of reading my Bible (sometimes I just read a devotional or christian book) and praying.  I find I have more peace and joy throughout the day when I do this.  I prefer this time to be in the morning before everyone gets up (usually around 5:30ish), but sometimes it's a challenge.  Today was during Wyatt's afternoon nap.  I am reading John Piper's "The Dangerous Duty of Delight."  The Chapter is called What Does It Mean For Money.  It is short read (91 pages) and an amazing book!   I highly recommend it (:  I thought I would share a little excerpt from the chapter I read today, enjoy (:
"Working to earn money for the cause of Christ is not the same as desiring to be rich.  What Paul is warning (1Timothy:6-10) against is not the desire to earn money to meet our needs and the needs of others; he is warning against the desire to have more and more money with the ego boost and material luxuries it can provide.  Let's look at the three reasons Paul gives in verses 7-10 for why we should not aspire to be rich.  First, in verse 7 he says, "We have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either."  There are no U-Hauls behind hearses.  The person who spends himself to get rich in this life is a fool.  He is out of touch with reality.  We will go out just the way we came in.  Picture hundreds of people entering eternity in a plane crash in the Sea of Japan.  They stand before God utterly stripped of Visa cards, checkbooks, credit lines, image clothes, how-to-succeed books, and Hilton reservations.  Here are the politician, the executive, the playboy, and the missionary kid, all on level ground with absolutely nothing in their hands, possessing only what they brought in their hearts.  How absurd and tragic the lover of money will seem on that day."

1 comment:

  1. The mornings are always my best time to spend with God as well. I like spiritual reading or just going through my Bible as well. My temptation is always to fall back asleep after my alarm goes off though! :)

    ReplyDelete