Thursday, February 10, 2011

New Doctor

I knew the next time I would get pregnant after Wyatt I wanted to switch doctors and hospitals.  I did not have one bad experience throughout my entire pregnancy and labor/delivery of Wyatt at Woman's Hospital, but I did feel like a number more than a patient.  Woman's is a wonderful hospital that is the best hospital for having a baby in the Baton Rouge area.  All staff are trained at the highest level of performance and the doctors know how to quickly react in emergency situations.  Wyatt's delivery was a true emergency and I am very thankful that I had a wonderful doctor/nurse team at Woman's.  I had an ultrasound at my 38 week appointment because Wyatt's position was difficult for the doctor to tell.  The ultrasound showed Wyatt in perfect position for delivery except his environment was extremely dangerous.  My amniotic fluid level was at 1.8 when it shouldv'e been from 5 to 8.  On that day I literally had to power walk straight to the hospital (my doctor told me to hurry to L and D), which luckily was only a couple feet away and was induced for labor immediately.  It was a scary time for us.  No one was sure if Wyatt was going to be ok.  Most babies do not survive in that environment for long.  And a majority of them have meconium, which is where they have a bowel movement inside where it usually gets into the baby's lungs and it's very difficult for the baby to breath.  I think I prayed over a thousand times that day!  Thankfully Wyatt was born 12 hours later with no complications and there was no meconium as well.

This time I am going to a wonderful doctor at Lane Memorial Hospital.  It is only 15 to 20 min from the house, which is so nice compared to driving 45 min to Woman's.  The hospital is alot smaller, but I will not be loosing out on the benefits of great care.  Recently their L and D unit was remodeled and the nurses are trained at Woman's Hospital.  I know a handful of people who have recently delivered there and have told me of what a wonderful experience they had.  My new doctor is big on patient centered care and a Christian, which I love!  He let's me make most decisions (within reason) of what I want for my pregnancy and L/ D experience.  He is even ok with going natural, which I'm still not sure yet but I think I would like to try this time.  He did tell me that there would be a slight increase risk of low amniotic fluid again and that if it made me feel better he would do an utrasound as the due date gets closer. 

Another benefit to having the baby at Lane is that my mom lives 5 min away from the hospital, which will be really nice for Wyatt staying there for a couple of days.  It will make it so much easier for just Daniel and I to have the opportunity to just focus on the new baby and it will be easy for Wyatt to see us throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment